Being a Compeer is as simple as going for a walk, having a conversation, going to a movie or picking up the phone. Through Compeer, a volunteer can help change someone's life for the better and it's just as simple as being a friend.
A Compeer volunteer is a man or woman who shares a friendship with someone socially isolated by mental illness and economically disadvantaged. He or she is a sensitive person who understands and accepts someone who may feel misunderstood or rejected.
Compeers spend at least four hours a month together, seeking to have weekly contact wherever possible.
Compeer matches are based on mutual preferences, and volunteers receive comprehensive training. Click on the “Matching Process” link for a complete overview.
Compeer serves Suburban Philadelphia.
“As a recovered mentally ill person, I can give back to
another mentally ill person with the help of Compeer.”
- Matching Process
- Volunteer Job Description
- Volunteer Application
- Criminal Record Check
- Volunteer Monthly Report Form
- Activity Reimbursement Form
- Compeer Brochure
Why Compeer works
- Meets a Basic Human Need
- Social Supports Build Confidence
- Clients Re-Engage in Community
- Isolation Shrinks, Self-worth Expands
- Enjoy making a difference
- Increase empathy
- Personal growth
- More awareness of the challenges facing people with mental illness
- Learning the value of true valuable friendship